Over 10 thousand samples have been collected and data recorded with QNOPY app during last three years. QNOPY has enabled the client achieve over 30% cost reduction for the groundwater monitoring program with zero data loss.
One of the largest environmental and infrastructure consulting companies in the world has been using the QNOPY platform for managing groundwater monitoring activities at high profile remediation sites located in California’s Mojave desert for the last couple of years. The monitoring program is complex and the number of wells sampled in any quarter exceeds 1,000. With the QNOPY platform the consultant has been able to achieve 30% reduction in costs as well as better quality of data with zero re-work and zero data lost.
- Complex regulatory requirements translate into complex sampling plans
- Well IDs are often mislabeled in the field
- Wrong wells are sampled as the well IDs are similar and technicians accidentally put wrong well ID on the forms
- Since the technicians constantly switch they sometimes sample the same well twice
- Planning the sampling event and making sure each well is assigned to a sampler using excel is a challenge
- There are overlapping sampling programs which call for different types of analysis.
- Manual QA of the daily sampling work is a challenge
- There is a constant pressure to reduce costs and add efficiencies
QNOPY solution overview:
QNOPY customized the groundwater monitoring forms for the program to include all the unique requirements. The projects were set up in the QNOPY system and all the wells were added into the database with their construction details such as their depth to bottom, diameters, and the screen intervals. Geographic locations of the wells were also updated into the QNOPY database.
- QNOPY provided cellular tablets along with the software subscription
- QNOPY mobile app works offline. Technicians record data with no internet connection during the day and upload data to the server when they get back to the site office
- Each technician has a unique login and can see all the wells and their completion status
- Wells can be seen on a map making them easier to find in open spaces
- Photos taken along with the well integrity checklist are automatically attached to the well and to the form
- The app automatically populates the well diameter and the total well depth so that the technicians can confirm whether they are at the right well
- All the data collected is exported as EDDs for importing in the client’s internal database
- Mobile app shows last 2 readings on the side for quick reference
- Each parameter has a valid range which can be based on the historic data or just hard limits
- Parameter stabilization criteria is pre-loaded and QNOPY app calculates the difference between two sets and shows it in green or orange color indicating stabilization
- Sampling plan for each well is pre-loaded and is then available in the mobile app
- Technicians see the types and number of sample containers or bottles to fill
Project manager has access to the data as it is recorded in the field via QNOPY’s web portal. The PM has admin access to the project and can easily edit the field logs, add/remove wells and export the well logs in PDF, WORD, or EXCEL formats. Trends in data can be viewed by creating time series plots.
- 30% overall cost reduction
- Over 10 thousand samples collected and field data recorded with the QNOPY tablets in last three years with
- Zero duplication of work
- and Zero loss of data
- Not a single tablet damaged or lost
- Significantly reduced the time taken for data cleanup. With the EDD export, database managers simply upload one EDD for the entire event
- No typos in the well IDs help the lab data upload process
- Every data point is geotagged and timestamped – adds transparency and accountability
- Got photos for every well box