A leading environmental consultant used the QNOPY platform to implement an Environmental Health & Safety program for construction projects for a large energy company. Over 1,900 active construction sites across five states were monitored periodically to assess the sub contractor’s EHS compliance. Construction contractors were rated for individual sites as well as across the whole portfolio during a given week or a month. Purpose of the program was not to catch unsafe behavior but to coach the contractors to be more health and safety aware.
QNOPY streamlined the entire program from planning of the site visits to generating weekly, monthly, and quarterly reports with score cards and charts. Site inspectors used the QNOPY mobile app to record site notes, documented travel and site times, and took pictures and made drawings. Project managers reviewed the site notes instantaneously and before the inspectors left the site. Project managers relayed any corrective actions or additional data requirements to the inspectors immediately.
EHS Audit forms were customized to handle the unique and proprietary EHS program of the client. New features were added into the app to capture issues found and coaching provided to the contractors.
Program Setup & Challenges:
- 1,900 construction sites across six states
- 120+ construction contractors and subcontractors
- Construction sites were added to the list on a daily basis
- When any issues are found the subcontractors were coached on the spot and corrective measures were noted
- Photo captions were split into two parts – observations and actions taken
- Along with EHS checklists, inspector’s onsite time and travel needed to be tracked
- Created a weekly and monthly contractor scorecard
- Adjusted the checklist and the audit protocol based on field observations
- Created a graphical dashboard to view the scores and other key performance indicators
QNOPY solution overview:
QNOPY created completely customized solution for the EHS program. Different checklists were created to capture the work safety culture, activities at the sites, and scoring risky behavior.
- QNOPY provided cellular tablets along with the software subscription
- Mandatory fields ensured that the inspectors recorded required information before submitting the form
- Mobile app works offline. EHS inspectors could conduct audits without internet connection during the day and upload photos and checklists to the server when they got back to their hotel or office
- Inspectors added photos and made drawings in the mobile app and attached photos to specific questions in the checklist
- Project managers added new projects and contractors into the system
- Checklists were divided into subtopics such as Housekeeping, Electrical, Hazard Communication, and Sanitary Facilities.
- Inspectors added extra notes along with the score for each question
- Notes are split in two parts – Findings and Actions Taken
- Over 2,000 site audits performed with 25,000+ pictures taken
- Tracked safety scores for contractors across multiple sites and multiple categories over two year to see whether coaching helped improve safety culture
- Immediate coaching helped improve safe behavior over the year
- Provided realtime feedback to the safety coordinators
- Not a single checklist or photo were misplaced
- QNOPY Data Analytics showed trends that may have been missed earlier
- Data could be grouped and printed as photo logs, daily logs, contractor scorecard, or a monthly report
- Project managers viewed photos on a map